Our Commitment To The Environment
We recognise that our work may have a direct or indirect effect on the local and/or regional environment. We are therefore committed to reducing any harm that this may cause on the environment.
Our Green Shipping Policy:
We use our best endeavours to be an environmentally friendly business. Wherever possible, we reuse and recycle our shipping boxes and packing materials, including the packing materials that we may receive from our suppliers. You will receive new high quality merchandise but it may be packed with recycled materials. Please reuse and recycle! Our commitment to the environment and reducing our carbon "footprint" is important to us and our aim is to reduce, reuse and recycle. Thank you for your support. Our Green Policy is to constantly look for ways in which we can improve our green credentials.
We encourage our staff to be ‘green’ and our aims are:
- Reducing waste
- Reusing materials at every opportunity
- Repair rather than throw away where we can
As our Green Policy develops and becomes established and embedded, we aim to:
- Encourage our staff to be responsible, green citizens
- Utilise energies and water sparingly
- Consider environmental impacts in our purchasing
- Endeavour to work with partner organisations that share our green values
- Reduce the need for transport and its impacts on the environment
- It is our intention to operate our business in an as environmentally friendly way as we can.
What we have already done:
- We reuse, or recycle, all of our incoming packaging materials (cardboard, polystyrene/cereal based beads, shredded paper, air bags, etc)
- We minimise our use of paper. The increasing use of e-mail greatly reduces the amount of paper used in hard-copy correspondence, envelopes and letters. Processing information electronically is also much more energy and carbon efficient than physically sending hard copy.
- We have installed some multi-functional devices (for faxing, printing and photcopying) in our offices that will reduce energy and paper usage.
- We purchase paper that is FSC accredited.
- We supply recycle bins for our office paper
- We are using 100% use of digital photography for the production of marketing materials. This minimises the use of film developing chemicals.
- Our consumption of fuel and energy is closely monitored and we take care that it is not wasted through inefficiency or casualness. For example, we use signage to remind staff to turn off lights when leaving a room, and ask staff to use computers responsibly ie turning them off at night and using the stand-by mode during the day.
- We recycle our old computers
- We recycle printer cartridges
- We recycle the fluorescent light tubes
- We have reduced the amount of our landfill waste by finding ways of recycling waste material, either in-house or through working in conjunction with others who are able to use the material constructively.
- We recycle bottles, plastics and cans by the use of recycling bins in the workplace
- We use Fair Trade hot drinks in the workplace
- Walk our small packages to our local Post Office
What we intend to do in the future:
- Where possible we will choose to source our materials and products from suppliers who operate in an environmentally friendly manner
- Develop and update our working and business practices in order to continuously improve our environmental performance and “footprint” reduction.
- Bags for Life
Policy Posted: February 2008